We’re on the hunt for a senior level Client Service Associate with a Registered Paraplanner designation and a proven track record. What is a "Client Service Associate" (or "CSA" as we call it internally)? Our CSAs work as a team to support our Financial Advisors to provide an excellent experience for our clients. Your job is to make our clients feel cared for and to solve their problems. To do this job well, you need to be comfortable solving problems without clear guidance and treating your clients like you treat your loved ones.
Within the CSA team, you’ll primarily focus on the paraplanner function, which means that you’ll update financial plans and perform analyses on various areas of the clients’ financial life (insurance, annuities, and wills and estates as examples). You won’t have any clients of your own, instead you’ll work with dozens of advisors on their clients.
You should have a deep tactical understanding of how to process complicated transactions like opening complex trusts, Roth re-characterizations, and charitable grants. You will also be expected to guide and direct our more junior CSAs and associate advisors on these issues.
Please realize that this is not a position for someone who wants to transition to an advisory role in the next five years. If you’re looking for an advisor trainee role, please check out our Associate Advisor program. This position is ideal for someone who has done administrative work for an advisor and has increased their capabilities so that they can do deeper work for the clients, but doesn’t want to take on clients of their own.
That's the high-level description, but you probably want to hear more about the details:
How to succeed:
Successful CSAs at Abacus...
- Complete and process client account paperwork quickly and with as little disruption to the client and advisors as possible
- Communicate with clients and prospects clearly using proper written and spoken language
- Track all open requests closely, with crazy attention to detail
- Build close relationships with clients by making them feel cared for
- Communicate as often as necessary with clients who have an outstanding request
- Keep client files organized and updated
- Log every activity and event related to your clients into Salesforce.com, our CRM, to ensure it is updated and current
- Be comfortable with cloud based applications, e-signatures, and learning new software…all the time
- Be the intermediary between clients, advisors and our custodian, making sure the custodian does their job for the client
- Support the rest of the Abacus CSAs by filling in for them when they're sick or on vacation, when they are unseasonably busy or when they're sad
Our Paraplanners must also…
- Deeply understand and operate our financial planning software, which is currently Naviplan, but that may change, so you’ll also be very adept at learning new systems quickly.
- Manage a large number of open requests at once and have the flexibility to manage shifting priorities. Seriously, you might have 50 open items on your list and be working on 5 financial plans at once. You’ll never miss a due date.
- Support our advisors in the planning process and make them trust you implicitly.
- Sit in on client meetings when necessary, and quickly come up with new scenarios on the fly. Rapid action is key to this position. Responding like a deer caught in headlights is not a good move.
- Be OK in a support role, given that this position isn’t directly responsible for any client. relationships
How to excel:
- You're an excellent communicator, on the phone, in person and in writing. You can intuit the various planning scenarios that our advisors want to run for their clients. You understand the clients even better than their advisors do.
- You frequently win bar bets with our advisors on financial planning trivia and theory.
- You are obsessive about organization and task management. You probably alphabetize your spice rack
- You sincerely love dealing with people. You treat your clients and your team like family.
- You make stuff happen. In fact, you're probably already thinking of a creative way to set yourself apart and get this job
- People always ask you to help because when you say you're going to do something, you do it. Every time. Without fail
You have some financial advisor industry knowledge and experience. You should have some level of business education, but a college degree is not required. Experience with NaviPlan, eMoney, MoneyGuidePro, FinanceLogix (or all of the above) would help you hit the ground running. You should have your Registered Paraplanner certification and will be expected to pass the Series 65 exam.
We offer a competitive salary in the $70,000 range, depending on experience, with generous benefits!