We are looking for an Associate Financial Advisor for our Santa Monica office. What is an Associate Advisor at Abacus, you ask? Our Associates are more like apprentices than support staff, and go through a rigorous two-year program where they learn to be a financial advisor, and not just any advisor... an Abacus Advisor.
How to Succeed
- Join client meetings where you will take notes and make sure all follow-up items are completed on time. You project management skills are super-duper.
- Deeply learn our financial planning software. You’ll do all the data entry for financial plans for our clients. We’re in the process of choosing new software, so you’ll also be very adept at learning new systems quickly.
- Manage a large number of open requests at once and have the flexibility to manage shifting priorities. Seriously, you might have 50 open items on your list and be working on 5 financial plans at once. You’ll never miss a due date.
- Support your advisory team in the planning process and make them trust you implicitly.
- When sitting in on client meetings, you may need to quickly come up with new scenarios on the fly. Rapid action is key to this position. Responding like a deer caught in headlights is not a good move.
- Help on special projects, like Excel analysis and research.
- Transition to Lead Advisor within a couple of years, depending on how quickly you can learn and advance. The career path is there and waiting for you. Your success is up to you.
How to Excel
Oh, you want to be the best Associate Advisor we have ever had? Here’s how:
- Intuit the various planning scenarios that your team wants to run for your clients.
- Your writing puts Hemingway to shame, and Sir Ian McKellan comes to you for advice on oration.
- When asked for a status report on open requests, you either can rattle off the current state of each request from memory, or you smile and say, “It’s all finished!” Of course, nobody would ever ask you for a status update because you’ve proactively made sure that, before they had a chance to wonder how things were going, you’ve already called them.
- Your team and your clients cry when you go on vacation because they’ll miss you.
- You’ve redesigned the data gathering process such that clients spend 18.6% less time and the process is done 2,076 minutes sooner.
- You frequently win bar bets on financial planning trivia and theory.
Nice to Haves
If you are a CFP® certificant or at least have passed the exam, you're ahead of the pack. If you haven’t passed the CFP® exam yet, no worries, but you’ll be expected to start the process immediately. Experience with NaviPlan (or another financial planning software) would help you hit the ground running. Knowing at least two strategies for reducing tax on ISOs and the best way to structure a GRAT strategy is super cool.
The first year compensation for this position is $55,000.
Apply on our website: http://careers.abacuswealth.com/o/associate-advisor-santa-monica-1